In this time of lockdown when we’re all stuck at home and in need of a bit of pampering, creating a spa at home is the perfect form of relaxation. Light some candles, put on some soft, calming music and get ready to pamper yourself…
Beginning with cleansed, clean skin is essential. Ensure you’re using a cleanser that’s designed specifically for your skin type and use with a flannel to ensure you remove all traces of makeup, dirt and pollution before moving onto the next step.
Exfoliation is the best way to get rid of dead skin cells and allow the bright, fresh skin underneath to shine through. Why not try this great at home scrub for your face?
- 1 part oatmeal
- ¼ part cornmeal
- ¼ fragrant herbs
- 1/8 clay
- Add all of the ingredients to a coffee grinder and grind until you’ve created a fine powder
- Transfer this powder into an airtight container
- When ready to use the scrub, mix 1 teaspoon of scrub powder with 1 tablespoon of water. Mix together to make a paste
- Apply to a dampened face in circular motions and rinse with warm water
This exfoliating scrub is multifunctional and can also be used as a mask. To use it as a mask, follow the above directions and then leave on face for 10 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
Facial steams are excellent for increasing circulation, opening pores and stimulating your skin to give a healthy, natural glow. These can be done with small at home steamers, however, if you’re not lucky enough to have one of these you can make your own at home with some boiling water in a bowl and some basic ingredients.
Here’s a simple steam recipe if you want to try it at home:
- Place boiling water in a large bowl
- Drop in a handful of fragrant herbs that are appropriate for your skin type
- Add 3-5 drops of essential oil that’s appropriate for your skin type (see below information to find out what oil will suit your skin)
Choose your herbs and oil based on your skin type:
- Dry skin – chamomile, comfrey, papaya fruit, lavender and rose
- Mature skin – elderflower, rose, carrot seed, clary sage and sandalwood
- Sensitive skin – camomile flowers, papaya fruit, lavender and neroli
- All skin types – calendula flowers, lavender flowers, geranium and lavender
Face masks are great for helping with any skin care concerns you may have. The right mask can help to improve hydration levels in your skin, remove excess oil , help reduce and improve the appearance of pores and even out skin tone. Other face masks can help to pull out impurities leading to clearer, fresher skin.
Face masks are also the most relaxing step of the at home spa experience as you simply apply them and leave them on whilst you relax with a cup of tea and zone out from the stresses of the world around you. Bliss!
Follow the above steps as often as you need some well-deserved me time and you’ll find your skin will be fresh and glowing and ready to face the world.
Stay Safe !!